Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a Chihuahua / Yorkshire Terrier Hybrid Dog he is 1 year

Customer Question

I have a Chihuahua / Yorkshire Terrier Hybrid Dog he is 1 year and 10months. Ive had him from when he was a pup. At first I tried to keep him in the kitchen when I went out but he would fnd away to get over the safety gate so i purchased a cage. The reason for this is because when i came home i would be greeted with the carpet being scratched and poo ad wee in the living room. (my kitchen and living room are connected in case you maybe wondering why i didnt shut the kitchen door) For a long time that worked until recently, id probably say in the last 3 months hes become a real problem, at night when i can not take him out he will go outside for a wee in hes designated spot but come in and do a poo, but he will only do it when im not in the room. Ive tried leaving him outside for a while but it makes no diference. Eventually he stopped doing it on the carpet but now hes started doing it in his bed. Ive got to the point where i threw out all his bedding because i was fed up with clearing away the mess and i thought that it would stop him going to the toilet in his bed if he didnt have anything to cover it up with. I read up online that it could be anxiety seperation because he feels he is the leader of the pack and so i started training again using the advice on the website dogbreedinfo.com. He no longer whines when i leave the room but his still pooping in his bed I dont know what to do please can you offer any further advice im at my wits end i have no idea why he is doing this in his bed people say that dogs dont do this but my one clearly does.
Thanking you Miss V. Wheeler
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Miss V. Wheeler and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

These breeds do have some trouble being house broken and this is often caused by a Separation Anxiety or just anxiety. Try following these instructions, Miss Wheeler to see if this will help:

1. Purchase a DAP Collar (Dog Appeasement Pheromone) at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.

2. Purchase Rescue Remedy at the pet store. This is another anti anxiety herbal medication.

3. Carry a coke can with pennies and when Billy Bear does this, shake the can loudly and say a strong NO!

4. If you have the time, take him back to a good obedience school. This will help make you the "Alpha" dog and he will be more apt to listen to you.

5. Purchase long lasting toys such as a Kong.

6. Take Billy Bear for more walks...exercise will decrease this stress.

Your vet has stronger anti anxiety medication used specifically for Separation Anxiety that will help Billy Bear past this behavior if the collar or herbal remedies are not enough. This helps to hasten the process.

You are doing all the right things, Miss Wheeler, but you just need a little more help.

This LINK may help, Miss Wheeler.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Loretta

I took on board what you said but i dont think Billy Bears problem is seperation anxiety as when I talked it over with my friend she pointed out to me that when she looks after him sometimes when i go away for the weekend he doesnt mess in the house or in his bed. I give him as much attention as i can and he goes almost everywhere i go so there is no reasn why he should be doing this.

I believe, Vicki , that this is not totally separation anxiety but anxiety of some form...because of this, the tips that I gave you will follow....decreasing anxiety , in most cases, will help stop this situation. It is not a medical issue....it is most likely an emotional issue.

Does that make more sense, Vicki? The name does not matter. It is the treatment that counts.

Thank you so much, Vikki for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!