Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

my dog seems under the weather he is not himself, took him

my dog seems under the weather he is not himself, took him to the vet last week and she gave him worm pills which I am not sure if they have worked
he is letting off some smelly ones and keeps wanting to sleep + he is now not really hungry
what do I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your dog but I do have few questions to ask about her first if you don't mind:

1. How old is she?
2 Is she spayed?
3. Could you be more specific when you say she's "under the weather? Any vomiting or diarrhea, for example? Has she been losing weight?
4. Was she running a fever at the vet's office?
5. Was any blood work done or suggested?

I may have a few more questions once I receive your answers but if not, there may be a slight delay as I formulate a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is 41/2 years old

full dog

no vomiting

stools seem ok but he has been farting really badly last couple of days and I think he is in pain

he has lost weight

The vet said he did not have a temperature

no blood works done

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information. My apologies for calling "him" a "her":(

Normal temperature is a good thing since it rules out a number of possible conditions. The fact that he's not vomiting is also a good sign.

Weight loss may or may not be significant since weight can fluctuate in a dog.

Excessive gas production is usually secondary to either ingestion of a large amount of air such as when a dog eats or drinks rapidly or can be secondary to fermentation....either of the dog food fed or possibly if something else was eaten that he might have gotten into.
And, gas can be quite uncomfortable/painful for dogs just like it can be for humans; it's just a more difficult diagnosis to make without an x-ray.
However, dogs with this problem aren't usually lethargic.

If he just had gas and disinterest in food, I'd be a little less concerned about him but I don't like that he appears lethargic; this symptom doesn't really quite fit with a simple "gas" episode.

But I do have a few suggestions which may help him feel better.

1. You could give him over the counter, human Gas-X or Phazyme or whatever you'd take for this problem. The dose is somewhat empiric but I usually advise about 1/4th to 1/2 of what a human would take.

2. I'd offer him a bland diet of boiled chicken (or hamburg) and rice since he may find this more appealing.

3. Encourage him to drink either water or pedialyte or low sodium chicken/beef broth to keep him hydrated.

4. Aspirin can be given for pain but I'm a little reluctant to advise it's use in this situation since we aren't absolutely certain of the source of his discomfort. But since he's not vomiting, it can be given at a dose of 10 mg/lb twice a day. It really should be given with food, though, to avoid any possible gastric upset.

As I mentioned above, I'm a little concerned that there may be something else going on with him so if you don't see improvement within 24 hours, then I'd have him rechecked and an x-ray taken at the least. I'd probably also consider blood work just to make sure that the weight loss wasn't secondary to a problem with his kidneys or liver, etc.

I realize that my answer may not be what you want to hear but I would be doing a disservice to both you and your dog if I were less than truthful and honest in my response to you. I hope you understand.

I also hope that this is helpful and provides options for you to consider.

Hopefully, this is just a transient episode which he'll move past within a short period of time. Deb.

Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
I’m just following up on our conversation about your dog. How is he doing? Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Deb,

Thank you for your e-mail. I got really worried by Sunday when he threw up. Took him to emergency they did blood tests and everything was ok but he seem to be producing bile.

I was giving him lots of sardines, for the joints which may have been the cause of it.

In any event he has really picked up today, I am keeping him on boiled chicken and rice with a little veg and he seems really good.

Really appreciate your help and I will keep the tips in mind.