Ask a Dog Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
Hello CE, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today. This is obviously a really, really tough decision that you have to make since they both sound absolutely charming!I'm certain that you know there are no guarantees in life; even the larger of the two pups could develop health issues at a relatively young age even though he/she looks so healthy now.And, just because the one pup is small now doesn't mean that she/he will stay that way since a growth spurt could occur and she/he could end up larger than the other pup! I've done a fair amount of breeding and know a lot of breeders and have seen it happen more than once.
And, small size isn't necessarily reflective of the potential to develop disease either although I'm certain that you already know this. It just happened to be your misfortune that the small pup you chose developed kidney issues very early in life so I can understand your reservations about possibly repeating the experience.
Just to give you an example, I have a 3 year old dog who was given up for dead after she was delivered by c-section. She was ultimately revived but was the smallest, teeniest little thing compared to her littermates. Brain damage and all sorts of problems were concerns as she matured which is why I ended up with her. Fast forward three years...she's as large as her sisters, she's one of the smartest dogs I've ever owned and keeps me on my toes more than any other dog I've ever had!So, you just never can tell what might happen!Something that you might consider would be have bloodwork done on the small one as a stipulation prior to purchase. This isn't a guarantee that she won't develop problems down the road but at least you'll know that she's healthy now, despite her smaller size and attitude. Since there are certain diseases which are clearly genetic in nature, be sure to query the breeder at length about any problems that she might have seen in her line (if she's been breeding for a while). My advise in situations like this is to go with your gut. That's not exactly your head nor your heart but follow your instincts. I find that you don't go too far wrong when you do.If this were my decision, I'd go with the smaller pup but that's just me:) I hope this helps makes your decision a little easier. Deb
I’m just following up on our conversation about the two puppies you were considering. I'm just curious but which one did you select? Deb