Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 4 year old choc lab ate a adult sock at approx 9.30 last

My 4 year old choc lab ate a adult sock at approx 9.30 last Thursday morning (30/1). So far he hasn't vomited it back or poo'd it out. He is his normal self , eating well & pooing without any problems. Should i try giving him liquid paraffin to help the sock on its way through him or go to my vet for xray ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Ollie.
Well, to be honest, I am quite surprised he is still eating fine with no evidence of obstruction yet.

So, I would recommend not giving anything other than food. Definitely! I think the x-ray is well worthwhile. The sock may not be visible, but there may be some other changes within the intestinal tract to help suggest where it is located.

It is quite possible that the sock could still pass in the next 48 hours, but it would be nice to know where it is located, or at least to confirm that it is not still sitting in the stomach.

Very good question. There is definitely still a high risk for obstruction, but if eating fine, I see no reason to give any other supplement and risk causing other digestive issues, making interpretation of what is causing illness more difficult.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy