Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My dog has had a large cyst removed from left side just below

My dog has had a large cyst removed from left side just below neck has stitches but also had to have some staples because of scratching wound with back leg. Wore collar but did not expect him using foot! A self adhesive pad was put on but keeps coming off, I am worried he is going to open stitches etc again. Is there any way I can protect wound other than useless self adhesive pads. Have put a lightweight cotton tee shirt to try and add a protective layer
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Toffee's persistence at trying to scratch this area. For some dogs, they will challenge the surgical site in ways that we wish they wouldn't. The lightweight cotton T shirt is a very good idea. You could go up in thickness and use a heavier one to give more protection. Another idea is to actually have a bootie placed on the legs that are being used to scratch to keep them from being able too. It is key though that the bootie isn't on too tight. Trimming the nails as short as possible is another thing to do. I would make sure the surgical site is "quiet", it may be irritating due to an infection. IF red or discharge is present, then antibiotics may be needed. Depending on the location, could your vet place a neck bandage wrap to protect the area if needed? All depends on where it is at. The thicker T shirt may be the best option. PLease let me know what questions this brings up.