Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My wife has bought a ball launcher for taking on walks with

My wife has bought a ball launcher for taking on walks with our 5 month old Weimeraner puppy but my thoughts are all the fast starting,and hard stopping, quick turning with unpredictable ball bounces, would be putting too much stress on puppies soft growing bones and joints and have suggested we just let her run and play naturally as she does until she has done most of her growing. Can you tell me if i am being unnecessarily over protective and the launcher activity will do her no harm.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

I think this is a great question and glad you asked because often we can see injuries at this age due to overuse

Dr. Altman :

At this point there is no clear cut answer to this question but using the ball launcher in moderation would be advised just as extended walks/ runs would be recommended to avoid as well

Dr. Altman :

But unfortunately you have a very high energy breed (as I'm sure you have assessed at this point!) so some exercise is definitely recommended

Dr. Altman :

Using the ball launcher in straight throws (not up in the air) for short periods of time is fine, let's say under 10 minutes

Dr. Altman :

Walks/ runs less than a mile at a time as well

Dr. Altman :

Again there is no written formula that has been researched but the first 12-18 months no over exertion is recommended and increasing activity as she ages slowly would be the best course of action

Dr. Altman :

So by 6-8 months old doing 1-2 mile walks/ runs and by 1 year old increasing that to a 3-4 mile level

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if this information makes sense or if I can clarify anything for you today

Dr. Altman :

I am going to be taking a short break but wanted to ensure you have no additional questions I can assist with?

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer:

Thank you that explains the situation very well.

Dr. Altman :

Great! Good luck to you and keeping Aster out of trouble :)