Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Hi. We just got a puppy 11 weeks old, female Lurcher. She is

Customer Question

Hi. We just got a puppy 11 weeks old, female Lurcher. She is nipping and biting all the time. When we say No, she is growling and attacks again. We cant walk freely in the house, she is constantly after our legs. She is worse with my wife, she bites her even when she is sitting quietly watching tv. We got this puppy from dogs trust but we haven't really any support from them when we addressed the problem. they only suggested to offer a chewey toy. They are plenty in the house. Unfortunately when we offer the toy, she ignores it and she is going for our hands again. We had dogs before and we know it is a behaviour can be fixed with proper training. We do not know what exactly to do. If we cant have any improvement the next days we are seriously thinking to take the puppy back. The problem is that I am working in the ships and I am away one month on , one month off. I cant trust the dog to stay alone with my wife for a month if she is the one being attacked constantly. Any advise will be appreciated. thank you. We can't even think to play throwing a toy or touching her, she immediately turns to bite. Only when she is exhausted from walks she is lovely, playful and calm. The biggest issue for this dog is the food. she will do anything for a treat but we can't give treats all the time. I am afraid there is no time for training. Now she is too fast and she can easily jump 2-3 m . When she is 2-3 months older will be impossible to control her. Sheis listening to the command to SIT and she sits immediately if thre is a treat in your hand. She is taking gently the treat from our fingers. She give clear signs that she need to go out to the garden for her business and the 5 days she is with us she had only few accidents. We just lost our lovely dog after 11 happyyears with her and we thought we have enough love to give a chance and a good life to another dog. But this is getting too much. I am very worried when I am walking from the one room to the other expecting a bite. It is not fair.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about this situation...I know this is very frustrating but there are ways past this with consistency and persitence.

Athina is still very young and she does not know that she is biting too hard...she thinks she is playing. The best thing you can do is to first, purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will help calm your gal down. Next, carry a coke can with pennies in it and when she does this . shake the can loudly which will get his attention and say a strong NO!! she will eventually get the idea that you are the "Alpha Dog" and she will stop this bad behavior. You cannot tolerate ANY biting even if she is playing.....be consistent and she will get the idea.

If Athina is still doing this, have your vet examine her and then prescribe an anti anxiety medication such as Clomicalm which will be very effective at calming her down so she can learn the correct way to behave.

This LINK may help. Also, this LINK has good information.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Thank you so much, Sotirios for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope things go well with Athina.

Have a wonderful day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much. we will try what you suggest.

Good for you, Sotirios....I know Athinawill do great!