Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 8 yr old Greyhound has developed a bony type lump at the

Customer Question

My 8 yr old Greyhound has developed a bony type lump at the top of his front leg/shoulder. He isnt let off the lead as he is an ex racer. He has had bouts of going lame on that leg, and had a fall on that side at Christmas, he was checked by the vet , but no damage was found.....any ideas what this could be ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with your Greyhound. The two primary rule-outs are a post-traumatic osteoma (benign tumor of bony origin) and osteosarcoma (a malignancy of bony origin). Clarifying which is present would first be attempted by X-raying that bony lump. Osteomas appear "quieter" than osteosarcomas which can either cause lytic (eaten away) areas in bone or, conversely, wildly proliferative bony changes. Both tumors can cause pain but osteosarcomas are terribly painful and progressively incapacitate our dogs. Osteosarcomas also will metastasize - often to the lungfields - while osteomas are expected to do so.

Occasionally soft tissue tumors can become so firm as to appear to be made of bone. Fibrosarcomas are such a tumor. Your vet may attempt to needle aspirate this lump and examine the aspirate microscopically (perform a cytology). This is often our first attempt in clarifying what a soft tissue bump represents. Your dog's prognosis will be predicated upon what's found either by examining the cytology of that lump or upon X-rays.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
typo: it should have said " - while osteomas aren't expected to do so."

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael,

after seeing our vet, it was the worst possible news, our dog has a very aggressive bone tumour....our option was to have the leg removed high up to the shoulder, then have chemo, but we have decided not to go ahead, and just keep him as pain free as possible (Tramadol)..From the xrays,he thinks its showing signs of spreading into the chest...He is still feeding, and wanting to go for walks, though very short ones, but we couldnt put him through the trauma of an operation. Thankyou for your help , at least we were a little prepared.

I'm sorry to hear of this. I appreciate your taking the time to update me.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.