Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

We have an 12 year old German shepherd dog, the problem that

Customer Question

We have an 12 year old German shepherd dog, the problem that has just started is when he has laid in his right side his eye ball turns upwards which rectifies itself when he blinks or gets up or with gentle massage, it's as if the muscle is week or when his head is on the floor it causes the eyeball to move the fog is not distressed or in pain
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are a number of muscles with the nerve supply that keeps the eye where it should be. I believe that there is an interference with the nerve supply to one or more of the muscles that is causing this odd occurance. This does not sound serious for Barny but you should be aware of any other neurologic issue that may appear. If there are others, then your vet will want to perform a thorough neurologic exam to determine the cause. For this minor issue, however, I would not be concerned.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply
My concern is that most if his actual eyeball goes upward and what appears to be the bottom of the eyeball (white & muscle nerve) is all that we can see the iris etc has totally moved to the top back of the eye socket x
Oh my, Julie....this still means that there is some type of interference with the nerve supply holding the eye in place. ....if this continues, have your vet or an eye specialist examine this since, there could be something behind the eye that could interfere with this. Like I said, it does not sound serious but if there is a tumor or something that could cause thsi, then this would be serious for Barny.

Thank you so much, Julie for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how Barny is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Have a wonderful day, Julie...Barny too!

Good morning, Julie. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Barny. Is his eye doing the same thing? Thanks!