Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hi.i am thinking of adopting a dog from Greece who has Leishmaniasis.She

Customer Question

Hi.i am thinking of adopting a dog from Greece who has Leishmaniasis.She was taken to a shelter last Summer and is being treated.Tests show it has not affected her liver or kidneys.I have three healthy dogs and a small grandson.he does not live with me.I wonder if I am putting my dogs at risk? Is there a chance it could be transmitted it them,or humans? I am in such a quandary as she looks so healthy!The shelter said they could email her test results to me.All the sites I look on seem to give conflicting advice,though my own vet said risks would be minimal,but am I being irresponsible to take her?yours,Jane
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Hello Jane,
Thank you for considering adopting this dog.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Leishmaniasisis is not spread from one dog to another; it has to spread through the bite of the sand fly. Since the sand fly does not live where you are (you are in the UK?), Pippi should not be a risk to people or dogs around them. There is concern that someday an insect in the UK will become able to transmit this diseae, and that the dogs with Leishmanisasis will be a reservoir to potentially infect dogs and people.

You might want to check with the importing agency in your country to be sure it is alright to import a dog knowing he has Leishmaniasis.

Just doing some reading: Apparently this disease is "staged", from Stage A to Stage E. It would help to know where Pippi falls. Stage A requires monitoring only; Stage B and up require therapy. It is possible Pippi might need to be on medication for life.

Please let me know if I can research or answer anything else for you. Good luck with Pippi.

Rebecca

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for you imput,tes I am in u.k.I wonder what you would do?!i will try to find out what grade her illness has been rated as,thanks,Jane
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Well, since you asked: I would not adopt a dog with this disease. They can get really sick.

Let me know if i can answer anything else.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating. I hope things work out for the best.

Rebecca