Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hi. My 3 year old started being sick last night and hasnt

Hi. My 3 year old bitch started being sick last night and hasn't stopped since. Her sick is creamy coloured and mucous-like, but the last couple are stained red with blood.
She's due to come into season soon, which always makes her sickly.
To my horror, I've just realised that her annual booster vaccination was due in August, so I'm worried she's now picked up something nasty?
We live in the country and are out in fields and woods every day.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response, it appears no experts were available when you posted your question. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How is Lola doing since you posted your question?
2- How much does she weigh?
3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your response.

Lola continues to sleep..

She popped out to the garden for a sniff around but nothing else. I saw her pooing/trying to this morning but I can't seem to find it to have a look at (!)

I'm unsure of her weight although she is very lean and usually a fit and strong dog because she is very active.

Unless she ate something out on our morning walk yesterday, (which is unlike her) she hasn't had the opportunity for anything else. I don't think she even went in the garden yesterday.

She ate her usual food and hasn't chewed anything at home etc.

thanks

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hayley, the vomiting with blood you are seeing in Lola is not related to not being up to date on her vaccination or because she is coming into estrus soon. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, toxicity, etc. to name a few causes. Highly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian to determine exact underlying cause. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for 1 week. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.