Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My dog (10kg) was given a small cooked bone by a neighbour

Customer Question

My dog (10kg) was given a small cooked bone by a neighbour about 3 hours ago, he is now refusing to eat his normal dried biscuit dinner, (James Well beloved). What should we do, I think the bone was pork.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. Is Roli acting distressed at this time? Is he swallowing more frequently? Is he having any retching or vomiting? Has he drank any water since this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Roli is not acting distressed, apart from being very quiet, refusing to eat and has drunk no water for the past two hours
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that information. In a situation like this, his stomach may be mildly upset by that bone or he may be full. Bigger red flags for possible problems with eating a bone like this are pain, vomiting, retching and frequent swallowing. These would give further indication that the bone may be blocking an area such as the esophagus, stomach or intestinal tract. There is a good chance that with time and rest, he is back to his normal self here in the next 6 to 12 hours. I wouldn't necessarily get too worried about his not wanting to eat at this time. If he wasn't eating in 12 hours, then I would be getting more concerned. He again may not feel hungry. With the bone, could he have eaten other food that has him full? I would say letting him rest and see how he does here over the next 12 hours is a good initial plan at this time - unless the vomiting, retching or pain comes up and then he should be evaluated by your vet sooner.