How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 10265
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now

my dog has eaten 1/2 box of thorntons chocolates, about 14

Customer Question

my dog has eaten 1/2 box of thorntons chocolates, about 14 ounces mixed dark and milk. what affect will this have
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Colin, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Candy. I do have a few additional questions to ask about her first, if you don't mind:

1. How long ago did she eat the chocolate?
2. Can you guesstimate the amount of dark chocolate versus milk chocolate that she might have eaten?
3. How much does she weigh?

 

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about an hour ago, we left chocs on settee forgot to move them to kitchen. 5pm about


 


about 50/50 the centres are caremel, fudge and toffee


 


we had her weighed she was on border line of being heavy. 1245 i think


 

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Colin,
Thanks for the additional information.

I'm not certain how much she weighs since it came through as "1245" but I'm assuming that she's about 30 lb or thereabouts.

Even taking into account that she didn't ingest a full 14 ounces of chocolate, the fact that she ate at least 50% dark chocolate raises the risk of significant side effects since it's far more toxic to dogs that milk chocolate would be. Even if she only ate 5 ounces of the dark chocolate, this would constitute a serious dose for her.

Since it's only been one hour since she ate the chocolate, I'd induce vomiting as soon as you can to remove as much of the chocolate from her body as possible. If you have 3% hydrogen peroxide, then I'd give her 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs of body weight (3 tsps if she weighs 30 lbs). Give it with bread and then walk her around. If she hasn't vomited in 15 minutes, repeat the dose.

Possible side effects which might be seen from ingestion of this much chocolate (especially the dark kind) would include: vomiting, diarrhea, muscle twitching, abnormal heart rhythms, hyper activity, elevated temperature, and possibly even collapse.

I'll stand by for further updates from you. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Colin:

I’m just following up on our conversation about Candy. How is she doing today? Deb