Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 9 week lab pup is not pooing, hes straining and theres

Customer Question

My 9 week lab pup is not pooing, he's straining and there's a little watery blood being passed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dr. Kara and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Kobe is straining and passing watery blood rather then normal stools. Straining is very common with loose stools and an irritated intestinal tract.

How is he feeling otherwise? Is his appetite still good? Any vomiting?
Has he had any vaccines yet?
Has he had a fecal sample checked by his veterinarian and has he been prescribed worming medication or have you given any over the counter wormers?

I am quite concerned about your little one as at this age the biggest reasons for watery, bloody stools are viral infections like Parvo Virus or severe parasite infestations (especially hookworms) or eating foreign material (toys, bones, sticks etc) which he is having trouble passing and are irritating his gastrointestinal tract. Even if he has had one or two vaccines at this age his immune system is very immature and will have trouble fighting off any infections.

If his appetite is poor or he has had any vomiting then he really needs to be examined by a veterinarian as soon as possible. At his age they become severely dehydrated and hypoglycemic easily. And a bloody, loose stool points toward a raw, bleeding intestinal lining which can quickly lead to septicemia.

If he is still eating well for you, and has not had any vomiting you can try worming him with a broad spectrum wormer like fenbendazole (trade name Panacur), using kao pectate to try to firm up his stools, pushing fluids and feeding a bland diet for a few days.

A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or lean, boiled hamburger, all fats and juices drained, and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it more palatable and get in plenty of fluids. Feed small meals frequently. You might wish to add 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.

You can also start Kao-pectate at 1ml per pound or 1 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat his irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until his stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

But if Kobe is lethargic, not eating well and/or has vomited a veterinary visit now is the best thing for him.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr Kara,

Otherwise he is feeling and acting like a usual 9 week old pup, appetite is good also. His stools this morning were fine, but his next one and the one after that got thinner and thinner and changed colour slightly until he was trying to squeeze one out about an hour ago (7pm).

He's had his first vaccination and was wormed before we got him just over a week ago and is due his 2nd vaccination and worming next Friday. He hasn't been outside our garden since we got him.

He's also never been vomiting.

He's sleeping now and will try and see what he thinks about his evening meal in a short while.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the further information. I am very glad to hear that he seems to feel himself otherwise, no vomiting so far and a good appetite.
Hopefully he just ate something that irritated his stomach. Or did you change his diet abruptly to something new when he came to you? That can cause stomach upset and diarrhea too.
Not all worming medications cover all parasites, so perhaps this is parasite related.
Viral infection symptoms don't show up immediately after exposure so it is possible he was exposed before he came to you.

Let's see how he feels when he awakes. If he feels great still try the bland diet and kao pectate and get a fresh stool sample into his veterinarian on Monday.
But if he seems lethargic, his appetite is off or he vomits then an emergency call is in order. Please let me know if you have any further questions.