Ask a Dog Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
Hello Karen, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.I'm sorry that Stanley isn't feeling well but my advise would be to have him seen at an ER clinic if you could. I usually recommend over the counter suggestions for owners in most cases but the intensity and acuteness of his symptoms are troublesome.I'd be concerned about Pancreatitis or possible a foreign body...either one of which could be very serious if left undiagnosed and untreated and could occur in the time frame you mention.The shivering he's doing is likely secondary to pain or a fever. You could take his temperature if you have a thermometer to confirm a fever; normal is between 100 and 102.5. I wouldn't advise you to wait; I'd rather be safe than sorry in this situation. Deb
Karen: Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.I'd like to check back in with you tomorrow to see how Stanley is doing...or you can send me an update later today if you have him seen at your ER clinic.I'd very much like to know how he makes out.
Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.
Good luck; I'll be hoping for the best for him. Regards, Deb
Kindly ignore the request for additional information.
Dear Dr Deb
Many thanks for your follow up. Stanley settled down a bit after our 'chat' last night, but overnight still vomited occasionally and passed one loose motion. He was brighter in himself this morning, but then passed a very solid jelly like motion with a lot of blood (it wasn't like colitis which another of our dogs has had in the past) and was bleeding slightly afterwards from his rectum, so I immediately took him to the emergency vet, who has diagnosed a hemorrhagic gastro-enteritis.
He has been treated with penicillin, an anti inflammatory and anti emetic injections and will be seeing the vet again early tomorrow morning, but with the proviso that if he starts vomiting again he needs to see the vet very urgently.
He is well hydrated, doesn't have a temperature, but his tummy is sore (not surprising the amount of vomiting/retching he was doing) and hasn't vomited or passed any more blood for more than 3 hours now.
Hopefully he's on the mend and we will be able to try and introduce a little food sometime tomorrow.
Many thanks for your advice last night.