Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

dog hasnt eaten for 24 hours and has shown no interest in

dog hasn't eaten for 24 hours and has shown no interest in food today. Went for a 30 minute walk this morning and was OK. He started vomiting about 4 hours ago and this continued at about 30 minute intervals until the last hour. He is now vomiting about every 10 minutes - contents of stomach was just a brown slime earlier as he has eaten nothing since yesterday evening, now it is just a white frothy thick slime. Dog is also shivering. Are we OK to monitor him overnight, or if the vomiting stays as frequent, should we seek veterinary help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Karen, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Stanley isn't feeling well but my advise would be to have him seen at an ER clinic if you could. I usually recommend over the counter suggestions for owners in most cases but the intensity and acuteness of his symptoms are troublesome.

I'd be concerned about Pancreatitis or possible a foreign body...either one of which could be very serious if left undiagnosed and untreated and could occur in the time frame you mention.

The shivering he's doing is likely secondary to pain or a fever. You could take his temperature if you have a thermometer to confirm a fever; normal is between 100 and 102.5.

I wouldn't advise you to wait; I'd rather be safe than sorry in this situation. Deb

Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Karen:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.
I'd like to check back in with you tomorrow to see how Stanley is doing...or you can send me an update later today if you have him seen at your ER clinic.

I'd very much like to know how he makes out.

Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.

Good luck; I'll be hoping for the best for him. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the request for additional information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr Deb

Many thanks for your follow up. Stanley settled down a bit after our 'chat' last night, but overnight still vomited occasionally and passed one loose motion. He was brighter in himself this morning, but then passed a very solid jelly like motion with a lot of blood (it wasn't like colitis which another of our dogs has had in the past) and was bleeding slightly afterwards from his rectum, so I immediately took him to the emergency vet, who has diagnosed a hemorrhagic gastro-enteritis.

He has been treated with penicillin, an anti inflammatory and anti emetic injections and will be seeing the vet again early tomorrow morning, but with the proviso that if he starts vomiting again he needs to see the vet very urgently.

He is well hydrated, doesn't have a temperature, but his tummy is sore (not surprising the amount of vomiting/retching he was doing) and hasn't vomited or passed any more blood for more than 3 hours now.

Hopefully he's on the mend and we will be able to try and introduce a little food sometime tomorrow.

Many thanks for your advice last night.

Karen

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Karen:
Thanks so much for the update on Stanley; he has been on my mind today wondering how he was doing.
I'm really glad to hear that a diagnosis was made and that he appears to be responding well to treatment.

Please keep me posted about his recovery if you have a chance. Regards, Deb