Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My springer spaniel has hurt the top of her tail. She will

Customer Question

My springer spaniel has hurt the top of her tail. She will not wagg it or lift it. Is there any pain killers I can give her. Or should I talk her to the emergency vets. Please help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

First of all the suitable painkiller : You really only have one reasonably safe option here ... Aspirin. On a short term home remedy aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers available in the UK and aspirin is sometimes prescribed for dogs. A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

Scott Nimmo :

Now lets cover most likely scenario concerning the tail injury .... { cont }

Scott Nimmo :

From my experience it does sound like Stella may have a broken tail, or she may have some nerve damage to the general area due to trauma which can also present like this. This is a common situation which all small animal vets deal with from time to time. Such dogs will hold their tail very low and may be reluctant or unable to wag it as much as usual, you do see the typical droop from the site of the damage.

2. If this is a broken or traumatised tail then usually no treatment is necessary, as usually it will gradually resolve on its own over a two to three week period as the break fuses or the nerve function returns. However it would be worth having your vet check your dog over at the next regular consultation as you will then have the diagnosis confirmed but there would only very rarely be more serious conditions which would present like this.

Scott Nimmo :

This sort of injury usually results from trauma of some kind such as the tail being caught in the door.

Scott Nimmo :

How long has Stella had this condition?

Customer:

It happened yesterday. We went and when we came back she was like that. We think she has slipped off the sofa backwards when asleep

Scott Nimmo :

That sounds about right, that sort of injury would do it as well, although painful and uncomfortable at the time this sort of thing is rarely very serious.

Scott Nimmo :

So really the chances are that an emergency visit right now can be avoided unless things get worse ...

Scott Nimmo :

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

Customer:

Thank you Scott. You have put my mind at rest. I will contact you if I need you more. Thank you again. Wendy

Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem Wendy,

Very glad to have advised you ...

Regards,

Scott