Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my eleven year old Labrador has ruptured his back leg ligerment

Customer Question

my eleven year old Labrador has ruptured his back leg ligerment and do we spend over a thousand pounds on an opp at his age being not insured don't know what to do for the best.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Sorry to hear about your Lab, My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me ... How long ago did this happen?

JACUSTOMER-d8twkdar- :

2 months ago has seen vet .

Scott Nimmo :

Well I have carried out a great many cruciate ligament operations in my time and I am glad to talk things over with you.

Scott Nimmo :

This may well be not what you want to hear but for a dog the size of a Labrador there is not really any alternative to surgery.

Scott Nimmo :

If the condition is just left the chances are as each few months passes then the joint will get more and more arthritic as time passes until it reaches the point where the dog will unfortunately suffer a poor quality of life and the ant-arthritis meds such as Metacam cease to be effective. Sorry to be so blunt.

Scott Nimmo :

However if surgery is carried out then this can largely be prevented ...

Scott Nimmo :

That's about the reality of the situation, it is quite clear cut I am afraid ...

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me ... Waht was your vet's advice for your Lab?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what happens if he has opp and only lives another year or doesn't come through opp.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the vet said it was us that had to decide and seeing him the end of the month

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further,

1. Well this is always the gamble in situation like this, all I can say that if your Lab is otherwise fairly healthy then you could reasonably expect him to live for another two years and most dogs show quite a degree of improvement within four to six weeks post surgery in my experience.

2. The chances of him not coming through the surgery would be very slim indeed these days, anaesthesia in dogs is now extremely safe with the modern drug protocols which most practices will be using in the UK, I would not worry too much on that score.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thankyou for your help.

Hello again,

No problem, very glad to have advised you.

I just wish I could have suggested some easy course of action to sort things out without surgery but sadly this would appear to be your best option.

Good luck with your Lab,

Regards,

Scott.