Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 9 year old dog has lost his appetite recently and had gone

My 9 year old dog has lost his appetite recently and had gone from a greedy dog who will eat anything to being very selective. We have,nt changed his food but are having to add things to it so that he will eat. He seems very sad and we are having to let him out sometimes twice a night so that he can go to the toilet. Can you help two tired owners.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This does sound concerning and an indication there is something medical going on with Digby. Does he have diarrhea to cause the increased urgency to go out, or is he urinating more? That might help me to know what possible underlying causes may be at play here. Unfortunately the signs of reduced interest in food and increased trips to urinate or defecate are not specific for any one particular problem and there is a long list of possibilities. Ideally, he does need to have a trip to see his vet next week. This would only be an emergency if he quits eating today, has profuse vomiting +/- diarrhea (especially if bloody) and seems quite depressed. Sounds like he has been holding his own, only having these subtle changes.

Dr. Joey :

For the reduced appetite, two easy suggestions you can try at home which would address nausea is to

1) Feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day.

2) Give famotidine 10mg at 1 tablet every 12 hours for nausea (reduced appetite). You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

Dr. Joey :

If he has diarrhea, then you could also add in bismuths sulfate suspension (also available at almost any people pharmacy): Give 1 to 3 mls by mouth every 8 hours for diarrhea. This medication must be given 1 hour after any other medication as it will coat the system and can potentially prevent absorption of other medications.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi he has diarrrhea when he goes out at night. His poo looks like undigested food. He was drinking lots of water but now he seems to be back to normal
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
Then with diarrhea, this is an indication he needs to be seen as soon as you can make this happen. If he is depressed/lethargic today or there is blood in his stool or he develops vomiting then you should seek out emergency assistance. However, if he is picking at his food and doing about the same as yesterday, you could try the hints I provided above. If no improvement by tomorrow then take him in for his regular vet to take a look tomorrow.

He needs a good exam by his vet followed by some lab testing (CBC, chemistry profile with electrolytes and stool check) to try to narrow down the problem. If he is a dog that is known to swallow unusual items, then if his lab work his normal, he should have xrays done to confirm he did not swallow something unusual.

Please let me know what questions you have.