Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Hi, I have 2 bedlington terrier sibling puppies both boys.

Hi, I have 2 bedlington terrier sibling puppies both boys. One developed diahorrea which had bits of blood in it last week and is currently being treated for colitis.He is bright in himself and is eating a bland diet of rice with either chicken or fish.He is on prednicare and we also have paste to try and bind his stools. He is improving and although his stools are not solid today I can see that they are firming up. The problem now is that the other one over night vomited several times until it was just bile. He last vomited at 04.46 am this morning ( kept a diary) but his stools are now runny and blood marked . He is more quiet than the other one which I would expect today but he wanted my other dogs food and was excited when he saw my neighbours dog. Whilst I don,t feel like his life is under threat today I,m just wondering if there is anything I can do in the interim before I get him to see the vet tomorrow. Thankyou
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hi I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

You poor thing! Two sick puppies at the same time. This must be difficult for you!

Customer: Yes it is, really worrying
Dr. Susan :

I'm glad to hear that Kevin seems to be improving at this time. Have both the boys had their puppy vaccine series already?

Customer: Yes they,ve had everything done
Dr. Susan :

Excellent. I just wanted to make sure that they have had their parvovirus vaccines. It sounds like they are safe.

Customer: Good
Dr. Susan :

It is curious that they have both come down with the same condition though, I think that makes something infectious OR something environmental highest on our list of possible causes.

Customer: I,ve racked my brains, both on James wellbeloved puppy food and as I said Perry has been fine until early hours of this morning
Dr. Susan :

Any possibility that they could eat anything foreign in the yard? Plants, mushrooms, etc?

Customer: Possibly you know how puppies are and there is a fair bit of foliage out there and they are always running into the house with bits of bark or twigs but I take it off them straight away. Also have a large koi fish pond with I,ve secured so they don't fall in or try to drink from it
Dr. Susan :

OK, well the underlying cause may remain a mystery, so let's move on to deal with Perry's treatment for now.

Customer: Ok
Dr. Susan :

You said he has not vomited for several hours now, and so far the only thing you have given him is the anti-diarrheal paste. Is that all correct?

Customer: That's right
Dr. Susan :

OK. Normally I would suggest that you wait until tonight to offer him food, but since he is a little puppy I would prefer you offer a small amount of food in the next couple of hours.

Dr. Susan :

Give a small amount of the bland diet that you are using for Kevin.

Dr. Susan :

If he can hold it down, he may have a more normal sized meal later on.

Dr. Susan :

Aside from that, encourage him to drink as much as possible.

Dr. Susan :

You can do that by offering him dilute low sodium chicken broth or the water from a tuna can.

Customer: Ok I guess the diahorrea issue will have to be looked at by my vet as seems as though. notations whatever's going on with them, just worry about the blood but my vet wasn't,t too concerned when I took the other one to him, said it was within straining, suppose this could be with him retching but I,m guessing
Customer: Sorry predictive text on iPad, should have said looks as though it's contagious
Customer: Have you come across this type of thing before ?
Customer: Ok I guess you have finished talking to me now ?
Dr. Susan :

Sorry! Just had to get some chocolate milk for my little one ;)

Dr. Susan :

Yes, I have definitely seen dogs with similar conditions before.

Dr. Susan :

Often times we do not get to an ultimate diagnosis, we simply treat them symptomatically to support them through it.

Dr. Susan :

I think that is what we will be doing with Perry, since Kevin seems to be responding well to treatment.

Customer: So long as they both get better, fingers crossed. Thanks for your advice x
Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: Cheers, XXXXX XXXXX won,t have to speak to you again ! And I don,t mean that in a bad way haha
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics