Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Hi. My 8 year old labrador has started peeing in the house.

Customer Question

Hi. My 8 year old labrador has started peeing in the house. It started in October when builders were here putting on an extension but they have been gone 6 weeks now and he is still doing it. We're pretty sure it's a protest/ marking thing rather than a bladder problem as he always does it when our backs are turned or whilst we're out. We have an older labrador who got the blame to start with until we caught the younger one in action, but only the once. I've sprayed the areas he pees on with special spray but he returns to the same places. It's difficult to tell him off when we can't catch him doing it. We have always walked our dogs twice a day religiously and at the same times so they have a routine which hasn't changed. Any clues as to why and what we can do about it? He's a very obedient and loving dog otherwise. Thanks, Angela.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Angela and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Rosso's issue....I know this is frustrating since you love him so much...

Unfortunately, this is a normal instinctive issue in some dogs. There are a few tips that will help. One is to place aluminum foil where he urinates. The noise of this will cause Rosso to be startled and stop. make sure to clean these areas with a good odor neutralizer such as Nature's Miracle to discourage this behavior.

This behavior is often due to stress froma territory issue so purchase a DAP Collar available at the pet store, Angela. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will help since you often cannot catch him.

If this gets worse, I have had clients have luck with an ultrasonic collar. You will have to be present when this happens and use this device to startle him. I have also had good results using a coke can with pennies to shake and startle him and then say a strong NO!!

Here is a LINK with more tips:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5584345_stop-male-dog-urinating-furniture.html

Does that make sense to you, Angela?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry.... pressed a button before finishing! I will look at the link you've sent me, thank you. The foil sounds like a good trick although I will have to put down quite a lot. I have sprayed with a neutraliser but he still goes back to the same spots. Unfortunately some are on unsealed wooden floors so I imagine the urine soaks right in. He is a sensitive dog so I think the stress with the territory is correct but his general demeanor and behaviour hasn't changed at all. We moved here a year ago and had no problems until the builders arrived.

I wonder if we can buy the collar you suggest here in the UK. I will have a look. The other suggestions sound good but only if we can catch him doing it. This morning I came down to pee and poo!

Many thanks,

Angela.

Oh my, Angela...you poor thing!

Rosso was stressed by the builders...I am not clear if you can get this collar there but I am pretty sure you can...also, Angela, your vet will have very effective medication such as Clomicalm to decrease the anxiety that is causing Rosso to do this.

In your case, Angela, with such a great dog as Rosso, I would use any tip and medication available to you...I know he does not want to misbehave...hang tough, Angela....
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Thank you so much, Angela for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I am sure with your determination, Rosso will stop this bad behavior.

Have a wonderful day!