Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a 7 year old Border Collie she has very loose stools

I have a 7 year old Border Collie she has very loose stools just water yellow in colour no blood she bright and eating ok my vet give me Salazopryn she has had 3 tabs but still loose. Do I finish to course I have eight tabs She had three or take her back to my vte
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Maddy has loose, watery stools but pleased to hear that she feels well otherwise and her appetite remains good.
Diarrhea can be due to stress, eating something she should not have, a quick change in diet, parasites, organ failure, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. Rarely a mass in the intestinal tract can be the cause.
I would recommend finishing her course of medication though as sometimes it can take a while for them to respond and we don't want to stop too early. In the meantime there are other things that we can do for her at home to help.

I would not feed her any food for 24 hours. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as she needs fluids after all that she has lost with her loose stools. You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too, but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make her intestinal irritation worse.

Today you can start Kao-pectate at 1ml per pound or 1 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. Make sure it is the kaolin and pectin formulation only. This is quite safe and will coat her irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. Do not use the formulation with salicylates in it along with Salazopryn. You can use the kaolin pectin formulation for several days until her stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no firming of her stools after being on kao pectate for 24 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.

After her food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white pasta or rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you are seeing mucous in her stools as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.
I recommend adding a probiotic like Fortiflora or Benebac to her food to replace normal bacteria and re-establish normal gut flora which is often damaged with diarrhea.

Once she feels better (no diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.

Even if she seems to improve I highly recommend checking a stool sample for parasite eggs and cysts. Parasites can cause episodic diarrhea.

If Maddy starts vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that she see a veterinarian now as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration. And if she isn't improving at all by tomorrow she should see her veterinarian.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.