Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

After he has eaten, our 7 year old male westie will go to his

Customer Question

After he has eaten, our 7 year old male westie will go to his bed, pick out a soft toy and carry it around the house, whining softly. Sometimes he will take it out into the garden and try to bury it. Why, please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Did this behavior start all of a sudden?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is Sammie appearing in any discomfort?

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We can't remember when it started, it was probably a year or so ago. It only happens occasionally - perhaps twice or tree time a week.

No, Sammie is in good health. He occasionally has runny poops, but we think he has quite a delicate digestive system.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX that information...

There are a couple issues that would cause this behavior but the most common is that Sammie has a very sensitive digestive tract and when he is feeling a bit nauseous from his meal, he will do this. Try giving him Pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs for 4-5 days to see if he will improve...sometimes we can get a diagnosis from a response to the treatment. I do believe, Stuart, that this is not serious but it is obvious that he is in some discomfort and a change in his diet to one for dogs with a sensitive stomach may help with this....the toy is his security blanket when he is not feeling well.

If this continues, I would recommend that you have your vet perform a thorough exam and blood work to know for sure.

Does that make sense to you, Stuart?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Stuart for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.

Have a wonderful day!