Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog ( 9 mth) border collie has started becoming aggressive

Customer Question

My dog ( 9 mth) border collie has started becoming aggressive when we try to put him in his crate- not being left for long periods, good amount of exercise- not allowed into garden off lead as runs away, has no recall, won't even look at us. He runs off and tries to chase cars, horses, bikes. He has bitten me an hubby a couple of times, more nips. We are concerned as have a 7 yr old child, the dog has growled at him but not bared his teeth. He is neutered, we are torn, we don't want to give him up or have him put to sleep but also can't run the risk of him hurting our child or someone else.
Any advice, of whatever nature, gratefully received.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

. The only way to stop this behavior is to let Haggis know that you are the "alpha dog" and that this is bad behavior. I often will use a coke can with pennies and shake it to get his attention and then say a strong NO! If this is not sufficient, then Ultrasonic collars will work as well which can be purchased at the pet store. Purchase a DAP Collar (Dog Appeasement Pheromone) at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.

There are many other training techniques that may help and are listed in the site I will give you. It is also important that you have your vet examine him to be sure there is not a medical cause for this behavior.....

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/aggression3.html

Your vet will have medication that will help him past this and in your situation, I would strongly recommend this.

You may want to contact a Veterinary Behaviorist and this site will help you find one near you: www.dacvb.org

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Allison for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope this will help get Haggis under control.

Have a wonderful day!