Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

Hello I think my dog is pregnant she is lactating and I can

Customer Question

Hello I think my dog is pregnant she is lactating and I can fell a few bumps here and there but no kicking my dog is fine and healthy but getting quite big and round she is very loving she won't eat dry food but eats the wet food fine I am just wondering how far along she could be please help thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

The production of milk and/or secretion from the nipples (mammary glands) can occur up to 14 days prior to delivery. Therefore, it is not a great indicator of when delivery will occur.

Dr. Joey :

Other indications delivery is imminent is nesting behavior will increase in the 24-48 hours prior and rectal temperature will fall 1-3 degrees prior to delivery (10-12 hours prior).

Dr. Joey :

To get a good idea of the stage of the puppies (and how many) an xray and ultrasound are needed to be done by your vet.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know your questions.

Customer: Ok thank you she will not stay on her bed she likes to lay on my dirty washing in my bathroom on the floor she has been scratching at it as well she won't stay on her bed she will let me touch her belly but she keeps lifting her front paw when I touch her
Dr. Joey :

This type of behavior changes unfortunately are not very specific to indicate timing and can occur for a week prior to delivery. If you see true spasms (contractions) of her abdomen, then she is within 12-24 hours of delivery.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: No spasms but she does breath heavy not panting she is. Trying to go down the bin and will eat anything my kids give her she is still walking around a lot following my children
Dr. Joey :

Then, just monitor for now. Try to encourage her to rest. Please keep me posted.

Customer: Ok thank you
Dr. Joey :

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Dr. Joey :

I'm sorry if you do not like my answer. My goal is to provide complete and accurate information. We must keep in mind that the truth is not always something we want to hear. I will opt out so maybe someone else can give you answers you want to hear.

Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.
I too am a licensed veterinarian and would like to help since Dr. Joey has opted out.
How is Lady doing? The "normal" length of pregnancy in dogs is 63 days. Do you remember when Lady was in heat, or even better, when she mated? This will definitely help us determine her approximate delivery date.
Thanks and hope to hear back from you soon,
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
Hello there,
I'm hoping no news is good news. . .is all going well? Normally when we hear back from you with your answers to our initial questions, we work towards addressing all of your concerns.
Has Lady delivered any pups? I'd like to hear since pseudo pregnancy is also a possibility.
Thanks!
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is doing really well she had six puppies two died during birth and one died two days later it was cold and not feeding I saved it three times but on the fourth it died lady is a brilliant mum thanks
Thank you for the wonderful news! I am so sorry that you lost 3 of the pups, but sounds like Lady is taking wonderful care of the remaining 3.
Have fun!
Dr. Barbara