Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Looked at your stomach problems in dogs, taken mine to vet

Customer Question

Looked at your stomach problems in dogs, taken mine to vet yesterday injections for anti vomiting and also anti biotic. However today not drinking much and stools now very soft as before they were softish, how can I get him to drink? Or is there some other fluid you can give a dog I.e kittens have cat milk
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello Anne, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about Monty hasn't been answered. I'm sorry that you've had to wait for a response but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

It's possible that his looser stools are related to either the antibiotics he's taking or secondary to whatever gastrointestinal issue which lead to his initial vomiting problem. But, I can understand your concern about dehydration, especially in a dog this age.

I wouldn't give him dairy products since many dogs are lactose intolerant but a good choice would be pedialyte since it contains electrolytes. You could also offer him low sodium chicken or beef broth to see if he will find this more palatable.
You could also use a syringe or small turkey baster to dribble fluids into his mouth is he's not willingly drinking on his own.
Just to give you an idea of the amount of fluid he would need on a daily basis, 1 ounce per pound in a 4 hour period is what's recommended...obviously, more if dehydration is suspected.

I hope this helps and that he's feeling better soon. Again, my apologies for the delayed response. Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have already started the syringe method and will continue with this pedialyte where I can I get this please?

Anne
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Anne:
Excellent that you're already supplementing. Pedialyte is available at most pharmacies or grocery stores...it's a human product, not ones specifically for pets. (LINK)
It might be located where foods/supplies for children are placed since it's commonly used for them when they develop diarrhea.
Gatorade is a brand name which would be a suitable alternative.

Deb
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your reply was OK just took too long
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Anne:
I'm sorry that you rated poor service although I can understand your disappointment with the delayed response.
Experts come on the site at different times and I answered as soon as I logged on and saw your question languishing on the list.

The ratings system on this site is designed to rate the individual responding to the question you post, not the site itself.
If this is the primary reason why you rated poorly (your disappointment with the site and not my answer), I'd appreciate if you'd indicate this so I can contact the site and the rating won't be held against me.

Regardless, I wish you and Monty the best. Regards, Deb

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Given monty some chicken
N and rice which he has eaten some of, fed a couple of syringes of water to him but it looks like he is having cramps again I will revisit the vet but are the cramps occurring because he has eaten something?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Anne:

The cramps are most likely secondary to the original problem. He's experiencing abdominal pain.
I wouldn't expect them to be related to your feeding him. Deb
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where do I respond to leering the site know it wasn't your answers that I gave a poor rating it was the site! It took over an hour to process my payment
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Anne:
The above statement is more than sufficient; I'll contact the site and let them know. Thank you Deb