Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Our 5 year old dog is normally playful but is very lethargic

Customer Question

Our 5 year old dog is normally playful but is very lethargic and quiet and keeps licking his lips
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is Ann and I am a licensed veterinarian and I would be happy to assist you.

Let me gather more information.
1. How long has this been going on?
2. Any change in diet recently, or any table scraps or different things being ingested by him?
3. Any vomiting or diarrhea?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

!. 24 hours

2. no

3. no

Okay. The licking of the lips is usually a sign of nausea. Nausea can be caused by gastrointestinal upset, but can also be caused by organ dysfunction such as kidney failure. Since this just started yesterday and there is no vomiting or diarrhea, if you like you can wait a day and try treating him symptomatically. What you would want to do is go to the store and purchase some Prilosec 20mg tablets and give one tablet orally every 24 hours. Then you can cook a bland diet of boiled chicken breast and white rice in a 50/50 mixture and coax him to eat that. If he is not any better tomorrow, or if he won't eat or drink or starts vomiting, see a vet for an exam and blood work.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly... if you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.