Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

12 year old XXXXX XXXXX had diarrhoea and vomited water overnight

Customer Question

12 year old XXXXX XXXXX had diarrhoea and vomited water overnight Drinking water and urinating but does not want to eat and is completely listless
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Is she spayed?
3- Is she drinking more than usual?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
5- Is she on any medications?
6- How long has this been going on?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1 She ate a very small amount of chilli chicken which the rest of my family had eaten without any ill effects

2 She had been drinking more than usual

3 She seemed fine before I went to bed and I found the diarrhea and water that she had vomited the following morning She vomited 3 times and has not done so again and is urinating normally but I have to carry her out to the

garden and she can walk but not up the couple of steps into the house

4 Her daughter has been eating the same diet

5 She is spayed and she did have a caesarian about 8 years ago

6 she is not on any medications and this just started the night before last

7 She is overweight and does have a lump on her side - she is a wonderful little dog who is normally very greedy and this is the first time she has ever refused food I am afraid that she may have been poisoned

although she was not anywhere without me except for my garden and I have searched there but did not find anything that could have harmed her.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- When did she lose the ability to go up stairs? Is this normal for her or just started?
2- How much does she weigh?
3- Can you expand on when was she drinking more than usual?
4- How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1 This happened overnight - It seems to be partly mental I carried her out to the lawn to urinate and she just stands there and does not make any attempt to come back into the house even though there is a gale here at the moment. When I lift her into the hall she can walk to her bed in the kitchen but just lies there motionless and that is completely out of character - I would describe her as a fun dog who is normally full of life

2 I don't know how much she weighs but she is definately overweight

3 I had noticed that she seemed to be drinking more than usual for a month or two but it did not seem to be excessive. Because she drinks from the same bowl as her daughter I could not be sure exactly how much she was drinking.

4 Because this has been so sudden at first I thought that it was the chilli chicken now I am worried that it may have been a stroke because of her complete change in personality

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hilary, as you may already know not eating and being lethargic is not a disease. She doesn't feel well and for this reason she has no appetite and lacks energy.
Vomiting and diarrhea are signs of either problems within the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. There are many different diseases that can cause these symptoms. Very difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, given the quick onset of her symptoms and having a history of eating chilli and maybe drinking more than usual we have to rule out: Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), tumors, infections, hormonal disorders (diabetes), etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, not much I can recommend for you to do at home that will have a significant therapeutic outcome. I would strongly recommend having her checked today by nearest veterinarian for a hands on examination, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC), urinalysis and +/-xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. If you can not get her to the vet today this is what you can do until she is seen by a vet:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any chemist.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr Peter

Thank you so much for your advice It is 10.30 pm here in N Ireland so I will have to wait until tomorrow morning to get her to a vet She is a much loved pet and I am very worried that I might lose her.

Hilary

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hilary, I am sorry for the time difference, I am in New York, USA. It is 5:30 p.m. here. Well, follow the above recommendations of fasting her and see if you can pick up Zantac in your local pharmacy. If the pharmacy (chemist) is close then just fast her as I recommended above.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter