Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My Border Collie is 12 year old and I recently changed her

My Border Collie is 12 year old and I recently changed her food, she has started drinking more and over the past 2 nights she has wet her bed, should I go back to her old food or get her checked at the vets
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me : Has Buffy been spayed?

Customer: Yes she was spayed at 7months old
Scott Nimmo :

Thanks for that, this information does rule out some possible diseases in a dog of Buffy's age group.

Scott Nimmo :

At first glance the obvious answer here is just to go back on to your old dog food, however there is a cause for concern here in so much that she is drinking excessively at the moment. { cont }

Customer: Her drinking bowl is empty every morning and I'm topping it up about twice a day
Scott Nimmo :

The chances are some disease process is causing this symptom rather than it being diet related in any way.{ cont }

Scott Nimmo :

What I will do though is to talk you through just some of the possible causes of excess drinking [ polydipsia ] that I know. This is the personal list I use when presented with an older dog which is drinking more than normal

1. Diabetes mellitus - sugar diabetes - easy diagnosis via blood test
2. Diabetes insipidus - rare but does happen - catches vets out !
3. Kidney problems - diagnosed by blood tests
4. Chronic hepatitis - diagnosed via blood tests
5. Cushings syndrome

Customer: Is there treatment for all of these or would it be kinder to have put to sleep
Scott Nimmo :

I think on balance while you would do no harm in going back to the old diet it would be as well to have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. A quick and simple blood test will often pick up what is going on.

Customer: Can all of the above be treated
Scott Nimmo :

If she is otherwise happy and enjoying life then I would not be too worried about putting her to sleep at present but your first step would be to diagnose exactly what is going on. Modifications in diet and lifestyle can often help early stage diabetes and the same goes for early stage kidney disease.

Scott Nimmo :

There are also other possibilities so the best thing to do is to take things a step at time ...

Customer: Ok thank you for your help I will take her to the vet today and get her checked out.
Scott Nimmo :

Good idea! I hope this ends up being something very minor ...