Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My nine year old dog tends to have red gums. He has had anti

Customer Question

My nine year old dog tends to have red gums. He has had anti biopics for infection and has much improved. He is well in every way and does not appear to be affected or in pain in any way but I would not like to think he was bothered by his condition.The vet I have spoken to says he can't say for certain because its hard to tell with dogs but I don't want to spend 250.00 if it isn't nessessary. What do you think?It looks slightly red round the tooth and gets worse as the day goes on.Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Fleet.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

I understand his gums are red. Are they smooth, or are they swollen at all?

How do his teeth look? Are they white and clean, or is there any stain or tartar?

What is it you do not want to spend $250 for if not necessary? What test or procedure is your vet recommending for $250?

This is an Info Request, to help me answer your question.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Fleets gums are smooth.The teeth look a bit stained He has had ant biopics twice and problem is always better but never gone..In the morning they look more or less normal but as the day progresses they tend to look red. IThe vet said he may need treatment in the future.The problem is not bothering him as far as I can tell but I understand it is difficult to know if dogs are in pain and I want to be reassured that he is not suffering. Since he seems perfectly ok I am reluctant to spend a lot of money .iI hope this helps
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
If he is eating normally, not drooling or pawing at his mouth, it does not sound like he is hurting from this.

The most common reason for red gums is dental tartar that is up under the gums. You can't really see it when they are awake. But if he does not have much dental disease or tartar, that may not be his problem. If it is from dental disease, it would respond to antibiotics, but would just come back again when the antibiotics are stopped; the only cure would be to have a dental cleaning under anesthesia.

It is interesting that they look normal in the beginning of the day. That tells me that after not eating or chewing on treats or toys overnight, his gums look normal but as soon as he starts using his mouth the redness/inflammation becomes more obvious. Again, if he were mine, the first thing I would check for is dental disease.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian for more than 30 years
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fleet has had his teeth cleaned at the vet now and he is fine thanks. Yes I was satisfied and I did give you a good rating. Thanks Diane
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Diane,
Thank you for the update and the good news. I appreciate the good rating!

Rebecca