Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

How do I stop my 9 month old German shorthaired Pointer jumping

Customer Question

How do I stop my 9 month old German shorthaired Pointer jumping up at everybody?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Loretta :

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Customer:

I would like Todd to stop jumping all over people all the time!!!!

Dr. Loretta :

Sorry....I am working on my response....I wil continue with this in a few minutes if that is ok....This is a common problem in energetic young dogs and there are many tips to help Todd past this. First purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store which will act as a calming agent. Then keep Todd in a crate when guests come in and leash him when you let him out so he cannot jump on people. This LINK explains this in more detail. Give me a few more minutes to finish this...thanks!

Dr. Loretta :

This issue requires a persistent and consistent training regimen such as listed in these websites. One tip is to ignore Todd until he settles down and then make him sit. It really helps to take Todd back to Obedience School so he will have more of a chance to listen to you when you say sit. This LINK also has very good tips to stop this bad behavior. Once you use some of these tips and are persistent about this, Todd will learn not to jump on people. Does that make any sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, he goes to obedience classes every week and is about to start gun dog training. He is very good in class but not so good the rest of the time. He whines continuously when he doesn't get what he wants and becomes hyperactive when he sees other people/dogs. I now only take him for walks in places I don't see other people!!

Dr. Loretta :

Remember, that he is a very energetic puppy so this will not happen right away....you will have to work on it. The ignore method works very well when someone comes to your door. LINK.

Dr. Loretta :

When you walk Todd on a leash, keep telling him NO! when he tries to get to other dogs or people. The DAP Collar will really help Todd past this because he is energetic. I have had similar problems with German Shorthairs because they cannot contain them selves....doing this walk, carry a coke can with pennies in it and when he gets too excited, shake the can loudly saying a strong NO! This will nto be effective over night but everytime this is done, Todd will pick this up. Do not avoid places with other dogs because he will have to learn.

Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Hi Sarah...I switched to this format so we can talk easier....let me know what questions you ahve about this...I am happy to help. I have had German Shorthairs and they LOVE everyone....

Thank you so much, Sarah, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I know this will take some work but it is all worth it.

Have a wonderful day!