Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Hi, i have a CKCS who, amongst her many a varied problems,

Hi, i have a CKCS who, amongst her many a varied problems, has developed high ph in her urine. The vet says she should be on a specific dry diet but we cannot get her to eat it. What is your opinion of products like Methigel, do you think they would be a useful thing or would it only make matters worse. She has SM and Mitral Valve problems.

Mrs J McIntosh
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Before trying to treat a problem that isn't really a problem,

Dr. Drew :

it's important to recognize that simply having an elevated urine pH does not automatically mean there's a problem.

Dr. Drew :

IN dogs, many times where the pH is significantly and persistently elevated, may be explained by a bacterial infection, so a urine culture should be performed to identify such a possibility.

Dr. Drew :

If there's no stones in the bladder, and the culture does not grow any bacteria, then treatment is not likely to be required.

Dr. Drew :

if bacteria are grown, then antibiotics would be needed.

Dr. Drew :

if an x-ray or ultrasound hasn't yet been done, that needs to happen as well, to check for stones.

Dr. Drew :

if stones are present, surgical removal and/or the special diet would then be necessary.

Dr. Drew :

There are several brands of prescription diets which can help prevent some types of stones, but again these are not specifically intended for the purpose of lowering urine pH with no other disease present.

Dr. Drew :

an oral methionine supplement as you mentioned, could be useful as a urinary acidifier, if needed in cases where a patient refuses the proper diet.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for that, I obviously didn't make myself as clear as I should. Brynni has already had 2 episodes of cystits and we have been told that she has a significant growth of crystals which need to be controlled before stone formation takes place, this is why we thought the suppliment might help.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.
I'd still be more concerned about urine culture being the priority, given that additional information.

Crystals can be a normal finding in dogs and by themselves don't indicate the need for treatment. Cystitis, with high pH, and crystals, would make me very suspicious of an infection.