Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

15 year old dog, mix la radar and border collie, has a big

15 year old dog, mix labrador with border collie, has a big cyst on his chest, keeps growing, measures now 4inches. should I worry, he doesn't seem to worry about it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Wizzer has this cyst on his chest!

Dr. Altman :

First, any new lump/ bump I recommend aspirating or poking with a needle to ensure it is nothing to be worried about

Dr. Altman :

Once aspirated your veterinarian can evaluate the cells under the microscope to ensure it is benign (noncancerous) versus malignant (cancerous)

Dr. Altman :

If it is found to truly be a cyst or fluid-filled sac and Wizzer is leaving it alone then monitoring it should be fine

Dr. Altman :

I always worry about cyst growth and rupturing which can be painful and lead to a secondary infection

Dr. Altman :

So some cysts we will actually aspirate the fluid as needed to remove the excess and reduce the risk of rupture, discomfort, infection

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with regarding this cyst

JACUSTOMER-zbsvu7tr- : I am satisfied, I though draining would be a good thing to do. thanks for giving me reassurance, I will ask the vet to try and drain the fluid.
Dr. Altman :

Perfect, please let me know if I can answer any additional questions for you today! Good luck to you and Wizzer :)

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

JACUSTOMER-zbsvu7tr- : Thank you Dr Altman
Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome, I hope you are together for a long, long time to come!

Dr. Altman :

If you are satisfied with our conversation please "rate" excellent or good so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you!