Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Why doesnt the spinal column of the dog collapse with all the

Customer Question

Why doesnt the spinal column of the dog collapse with all the weight hung on it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dr. Kara and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
A dog's spinal column isn't just a chain of bony vertebrae. It is also a series of ligaments and tendons between the vertebral bodies and the strong epaxial muscles that run along side of the vertebral column. These are the thick muscles that you can feel along both sides of the tops of the vertebral bodies. These muscles allow flexibility and strength.
This is a link to a book that shows the musculature around the spinal column and discusses the different muscles if you are interested:
http://books.google.com/books?id=6eBOAQAAQBAJ&pg=PA219&lpg=PA219&dq=dog+spinal+column+epaxial+muscles&source=bl&ots=FSpzET3R4q&sig=zlnUEMy9_vhVfimk0MkkgQXnTCc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=iqH-Uq2rONfboASM_4LoDg&ved=0CF4Q6AEwCw#v=onepage&q=dog%20spinal%20column%20epaxial%20muscles&f=false

Please let me know if you have any further questions.