Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My Labrador retriever has lost a lot of hair on his head and

Customer Question

My Labrador retriever has lost a lot of hair on his head and back and has a rash where the hair has gone
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This does sound concerning for Clay. If he is highly itchy, then this signals a likely skin infection or immune-mediated skin disease. The most common infection is bacterial, which can occur secondary to an underlying allergy (such as food allergy or environmental allergy which is called atopic dermatitis). If he has extensive lesions then my best recommendation is to have him seen as soon as possible by his vet to get proper prescription medication (antibiotic +/- steroid or topical spray). If this is not possible I can give you some suggestions to try at home, but nothing is going to work better than oral medications.

Dr. Joey :

What could you try at home?

1)Give an antihistamine such as Benadryl at 1mg per pound every 12 hours (round up to the nearest 25lbs; for example if he is 75 lbs then give 75mg every 12 hours which is 3 of the over-the-counter 25mg tablets). May cause him to be drowsy but cut some itching

2)Make sure he is on an effect monthly flea control product. Our fipronil products (other than frontline TRITAK) do not work well (such as Frontline Plus or Frontline TopSpot and all knock-off products). Over-the-counter ADvantage or Advantix works ok. From your vet you can get Comfortis or NexGard tablets.

3)Bathe him in areas that are not near the eyes with the original Selsun Blue. When you bathe, let the shampoo stand in contact with the skin for 5 minutes before rinsing. Do not get in his eyes

4)Use a topical spray with active ingredient praxomine or bezocaine.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I forgot to mention I do not lik the flea shampoos. IF this is your only flea control, then this does not work. You need an effective oral tablet or topical such as one I mentioned above.Also, if he has an ear infection (discharge, redness, itching, pain) then this is going to need a trip to see his vet. There are no OTC products that will clear this. :(

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.