nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I PAY £29 PER MONTH FOR HEALTHCARE WITH MY VET. MY DOG HAS

Customer Question

I PAY £29 PER MONTH FOR HEALTHCARE WITH MY VET. MY DOG HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED AS HAVING LEG PERTHES DISEASE THE VET'S PLAN DOESN'T COVER SO WILL HAVE TO REFER TO UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW VET HOSPITAL WHICH I WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR. CAN YOU GIVE ME AN IDEA OF COST AS I'M REALLY WORRIED I WON'T BE ABLE TO AFFORD.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear that your wee one has been diagnosed with Legg-Perthes disease. In regards XXXXX XXXXX to Glasgow, I can tell you that it is a very good facility that has some very good orthopedic surgeons on staff.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX this will vary considerably on whether your dog needs to have further x-rays once there and what type of surgical technique is utilized. Just to note, you can ask your vet to ring Glasgow and they can give you an estimate for each scenario (based on your vet's information). That way, you would have an idea of cost and what you can reasonably afford before you get there.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX approach to these cases, if you have a large breed dog (unusual for this disease) than a hip replacement would be the treatment of choice. But if your dog is wee (ie a Westie or small breed) then there is the option for either a total hip replacement or a femoral head ostectomy (FHO). With a total hip replacement, the surgical goal is quite apparent (a new joint is fitted). For the FHO, this is where the femoral head is actually removed (which isn't a big deal since the disease will have lead to its being avascular and dead anyway). Once removed the remaining tissues do scar and form a faux joint that many dogs do well with. If both legs are affected, then the worst one tends to be operated on first with the other following in the months to follow.

Now the reason I outline each is because they do have a divergence in price (due to equipment, surgical time, cost of a joint implant, etc). Generally speaking, an FHO can cost between £500-800 per side, where the hip replacement can cost between £2,500-£3,000 per hip.

Furthermore, just to note, if the cost of hip replacement is too much and this is a small dog, I would advise speaking to your vet about FHO as a treatment option for your dog. The reason is because this is a surgery that is commonly done in general practice and perhaps could be an option here. So, while the general vet cannot offer an in house hip replacement, they could potentially offer an FHO under their insurance plan for your wee one.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information. My dog is a 10 month Chorkie. It seems to be his right hip as he's not putting full pressure on foot when walking, and lifts his leg when running. I think the procedure FHO maybe the answer which I can afford. This seems to be what the vet had mentioned, but said she would have to refer to Orthopaedic specialist at the Vet School. P.S HE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE IN PAIN OR DISCOMFORT, STILL VERY LIVELY PLAYING WITH MY LHASA APSO, JUMPING ON FURNITURE AND WANTING TOYS THROWN FOR FETCHINTG

Expert:  nekovet replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

I am glad to hear that he is in good spirits even despite this condition and isn't suffering with it. (Though I do suspect that he may be a challenge to rest after either surgery.)

If it was a wee bit unclear to which operation she was considering referral for, this would be something to ring your vet about on Monday. A Chorkie would likely be small enough that either procedure would be a physical possibilities. So, if hip replacement is not a financially viable option (which is fair enough) than an FHO would be indicated . And as I noted before, an FHO isn't a specialist procedure and is one that could be performed in practice (and many vets do). So a referral to Glasgow may not be absolutely necessary.

Therefore, if she has noted a referral for this specific operation, than it is worth inquiring why this practice cannot offer this surgical option (ie equipment issues, lack of an experienced surgeon, etc). Depending on the answer, you may find it more practical to seek out a local general practice vet who is a keen surgeon (perhaps not a specialist but with experience in FHO's) as a means of finding a most cost effective option for your wee one's hip.

All the best,
Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks,

My vet was adamant that they couldn't do anything, that he would have to be referred to specialist who is at vet school, to confirm that it is Leg Perthes, as she thinks it is. Do you think another vet who can do FHO procedure would ve cheaper than vet school.

Oh and bye the way I've now taken out separate insurance for both dogs, but of course that won't cover for this as already diagnosed before insurance taken.

Expert:  nekovet replied 3 years ago.

You are very welcome.

I am glad that you do have insurance for your wee ones since it is very useful should unexpected injuries arise or if they developed a health issue later in life. The only dilemma in this case is that some insurances will l consider Legg-Perthes a pre-existing condition (since its a genetic one they are technically born with).

Otherwise, I do think further discussion with your vet would be ideal here to clarify this situation. I did assume that your vet has done x-rays here (since it would be difficult to diagnose this condition without them). If they have done so but are not sure if this is definitively a case of Legg-Perthes, I would suggest asking them to send your dog's x-rays to Glasgow for review. Martin Sullivan (LINK), the head of diagnostic imaging at Glasgow, will look at x-rays for vets in practice and help them diagnose cases. There may be a small fee for him to do this, but it would potentially be a more practical option here. Because if he did confirm their suspicion then we'd be where we were at the start of our wee chat about treatment options.

So, I think further discussion with your lad's vet would be indicated. If they are not completely sure about the diagnosis than there is no reason x-rays cannot be sent down to Glasgow for review before making you potentially trek there yourself.

Take care,
Dr. B.