Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog started vomiting slightly pink liquid this morning,

Customer Question

My dog started vomiting slightly pink liquid this morning, and still hasn't stopped now at 17:30. She won't even eat chicken & rice, and has drunk at least five bowls of water today. She is spending most of her time hiding behind the shed. Very worried. Should I take her to a vet or just keep an eye on her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Poppy. We can't "watchful wait" her any longer. Her vomiting needs to be stopped by administering an injectable antiemetic such as maropitant (Cerenia) and an injectable antacid such as famotidine needs to be administered as well because her profuse vomiting has scalded her esophagus and oropharynx. She's profoundly dehydrated as evidenced by her drinking excessively but not retaining the fluids that she's ingested. IV fluid therapy, then, in a hospital setting is necessary.

Her behavior isn't pathognomonic (particularly indicative) of any one disorder and so I would expect a vet to run biochemical testing and either X-ray or ultrasound Poppy's abdomen as well.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Salkin,

Thanks so much for your advice.

I took Poppy in to the emergency vet last night, and they kept her in. They said maybe some kind of gastroenteritis, or possibly pancreatitis.

They didn't call me in the night to request permission to take bloods, so I'm taking that as a good sign!

Thanks again it was the nudge I needed.

Best wishes,

Catherine Vernon

Thank you, Catherine, for the update. I'm pleased that Poppy is being cared for in that manner.

I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update.
May I have an update on Poppy, please?