Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

May dog has been sick continuously for about 3 hours has diarrhoea

May dog has been sick continuously for about 3 hours has diarrhoea (mucous like ) is shacking and is distressed but subdued.
He's a border terrier and does sometimes eat rubbish and is sick.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Charlie.

My primary concerns for diarrhea with or without blood include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.

When the stool also has a oily, mucoid/jelly, or blood in it that suggests colitis. Colitis is inflammation of the large intestine.
Colitis in Dogs

Colitis in Cats

Now, several suggestions below, although some may not be readily available to you or your vet. Your vet, however, should have many equivalent drugs.

A few options to help correct loose stools include:
1. Prescription medication like flagyl (metronidazole) is excellent:
Flagyl

If there is blood or mucous in the stool, to suggest colitis, than a vet may also consider Sulfasalazine:
Sulfasalazine

2. Adding some fiber to the diet.
Metamucil for Pets

Pumpkin for Pets (not pumpkin pie filler)

3. Various probiotics for the short-term or even sometimes long-term for chronic digestive problems:

Rx Biotics
- For this probiotic, you’ll need your vet to order it, or find a local vet who carries it.
Vetri-probiotic BD
Although not a sole treatment for diarrhea, another effective supportive supplement:
Rx Clay

A very popular choice:
Fortiflora
-above link for dogs, but you can select cat products as well.

4. A prescription diet like Science diet I/D, I/D low fat, W/D, or Royal Canin gastrointestinal can be useful.

5. A at-home bland diet:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
And
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice

To help diarrhea you can give some pepto-bismol, but I strongly discourage using it repeatedly as it can cover up a more serious problem.
Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

If you cannot get pepto or kaopectate, then I do feel there is good enough reason for even an emergency vet visit to get Charlie's abdomen feeling more comfortable.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy