Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My staffie dog is rubbing her underneath area on the carpet

My staffie dog is rubbing her underneath area on the carpet and has made it sore and it also has dried blood on it what is her problem and can I do anything for her
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she rubbing her butt on the floor?
2- Where exactly is the sore?
3- Is she licking/gnawing at the area?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is not rubbing her backside as we first thought so we wormed her and had her anal glands done, it's her lady bit underneath, she isn't t licking or growing at it, that's what's so strange, it has a red sore spot and this morning dried blood, she has been spared as a pup. I just wondered what it could be. And what treatment she will need.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- It is on her vagina, correct? If so, can you double check for any growths or if the folds are moist/red/irritated?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes her vagina having just looked it has two very small red bumps at the back and look sore
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Joan, as you already know the vagina is irritated/inflammed. Her rubbing on the floor will irritate the tissue even more and promote inflammation. This is what you can do:

1- Do not let her lick the medication below, if she does pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.
3- After washing affected area as above apply topical hydrocortisone cream. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. You can buy this over the counter in any pharmacy. Then, I would place a t-shirt on her to cover her vagina and prevent her from rubbing on the floor.
4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter