Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 8 month old Rottweiler puppy is off her food, lethargic,

Customer Question

My 8 month old Rottweiler puppy is off her food, lethargic, vomitting for the past two nights, and has diarrhoea. She is drinking a little water, but not much. Is this an emergency????
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This may be only a minor digestive disturbance caused by something odd that Ruby, as a rambunctious puppy, may have gotten into . If this is the case, the treatment is as follows:

Fast Ruby for 24 hrs which she is doing herself to allow her tract to calm down and heal..

Give Ruby Pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs.

Give only small amounts of water or ice cubes.

After the fast, feed a small meal of rice and boiled chicken.

If the vomiting and diarrhea have resolved, then wean back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take Ruby to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal blockage.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Our major concern is that she does chew a lot of stones in the garden despite our best efforts to stop her, do the symptoms sound like they could be a blockage? What are specific blockage symptoms for us to look out for?

Many thanks for the quick advice

Hi Sarah...the signs of an intestinal blockage are the same as a disturbance but they do not resolve with treatment,. They do tend to be much more painful in their abdomen,....if Ruby is also very tender in her abdomen, take her to your vet right away...if she is vomiting , even with some blood, this still could be something minor....

does that make any more sense, Sarah?

Thank you so much, Sarah, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Ruby's condition.

Have a wonderful day!