Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My six month old shih tzu is in season. She has been

My six month old shih tzu bitch is in season. She has been in contact with a friends male dog as I thought heat was over. The male dog is now still trying to mount anything he can. Any ideas for future heats as we are going on holiday with these friends? How long till second heat? Are there any medications I could use apart from bitch spray that will mask the scent?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

In dogs, heat cycles occur approximately every six months.

Dr. Susan :

Each dog is different, so hers could be a bit earlier or later. Not something we can plan on with certainty at this point.

Dr. Susan :

In the future, after several heat cycles, you should be able to predict more regularly when her heat will be.

Dr. Susan :

Do you intend to breed her?

Customer: Yes
Dr. Susan :

OK. Unfortunately, there is no reliable method to disguise a bitch in heat.

Dr. Susan :

They must be kept separate, and I always recommend using two barriers (e.g. door and a gate, or two gates)

Dr. Susan :

When is your holiday planned?

Customer: Will the male dog go back yo being ok with my dog when the heat is over
Dr. Susan :

Are you asking if he will stop trying to mount her?

Customer: Well yes. When we removed our bitch from their house the male tried to mount another spayed bitch who was not happy
Dr. Susan :

Yes, he will not try to mount her every time he sees her. His actions were influenced by her pheromones.

Dr. Susan :

As her hormones change throughout her cycle, the release of those pheromones will cease.

Dr. Susan :

Both of them should go back to their previous behaviors.

Customer: Does it take a while for the scent to go? Should I bath her will that help. He was ok with her last week when she was only a couple of days into the bleeding. If she only attractive at a certain point ?
Dr. Susan :

Yes, it could take time for the scent to go.

Dr. Susan :

Also, there are some preservatives in pet shampoo which can be similar to the pheromones, and he may have recognized something like that on the other female.

Dr. Susan :

So, it's hard to say what was confusing him.

Dr. Susan :

The female pheromones are released in the urine, anal gland secretions, and vulvar secretions.

Customer: I think he was so excited he would have mounted anything! I work in a pet shop and we sell bitch tablets do they help
Dr. Susan :

I haven't heard of those before! What are they supposed to do?

Customer: Could my vet prescribe anything?
Customer: They are supposed to mask the smell! Doubt they work so wondered if vet could suggest a prescription
Dr. Susan :

There was something that was available in the past called Cheque Drops, let me see if that is still available.

Dr. Susan :

It was supposed to suppress a heat cycle.

Dr. Susan :

Great. It appears that these products should be available to you.

Dr. Susan :

I'm not sure what brand name is XXXXX XXXXX the UK.

Dr. Susan :

Your vet can help you identify the right product.

Dr. Susan :

The active ingredient is called "mibolerone".

Customer: Brilliant! I'll go see my vet thanks
Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Customer: I've made a note of that thanks very much. Thanks for your help
Dr. Susan :

That's what I'm here for :)

Customer: Have a good day
Dr. Susan :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX!

Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics