Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Hi so my dog is pregnant she looks depressed and very uncomfortable

Customer Question

Hi so my dog is pregnant she looks depressed and very uncomfortable she keeps trying to lay on clothes rather than her bed and was on heat around Christmas time not sure if it was before or after as she was not really heavy she had a very light bleed so I didn't even know so can't give a date but she is lactating and I think I felt the puppies move today she will only eat wet food I was giving her iams but she won't eat it now please help I can't work out how much longer she has left
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

These symptoms that you describe are a normal process whne they are getting ready to deliver. She will start nesting behavior like laying on clothes of their owners, start lactating and appear depressed and uncomfortable. It is hard to know excatly when she will deliver but this LINK will help you figure this out. So far, everything is very normal.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Danni, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Lady's delicate condition.

Have a wonderful day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you do you have a estimated date as to how long she could have left as this is her first litter and I am worried about her my vet won't. She her because she is pregnant and can't afforded to go private
HI Danni...if her mammary glands are filling, delivery is imminent. The first litter is not as easy to tell but what may help is to take her temperatuire with a rectal thermometer daily....

Normal is 100 to 102.5....24 hrs before delivery, her temperature will drop below 100...

LINK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where do I get a thermometer for a dog
Just use the human rectal thermometer available at the pharmacy or one at the pet store, Danni. It will really help you get ready...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thank you for you help
You are very welcome, Danni...I am sure Lady will do great with your love and care for her....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi the puppies are really moving today feeling lots of bumps and lumps it's so weirded but can't wait if there getting really active how far could she be
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi again lady is starting to nest and looking at her hind legs and I think she is smelling something from her bits as she is sniffing the floor where she has been laying and licking at her teats she is following me around and keeps trying to get on my sofa she is also shacking What can I do to help her and is she nearly ready
Those are all good signs, Danni...there is nothing you can do to help except console Lady...her hormones are driving her and this is all normal...let me know when she does deliver, Danni...puppies are so darn cute!!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is breathing heavy but not panting I am sitting next to her Whelping pool and she is laying over the side on my leg she has only eaten quarter of her food I have left her water with her and she is drinking well she only seems to get comfortable when she is laying on me I can't tell what's going on with her belly can't see any convulsions and she is rock hard and very little puppy movement
This is still all normal, Danni...the challenge you have now is being patient and wait until her body is ready...that is very hard for us but it has to be done....if something goes wrong, you will know....

Hang in there, Danni....be patient...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's really hard she looks uncomfortable and only want to be around me if she thinks I have moved she starts looking for me
That is normal, Danni....Lady does not understand what is happening to her so she feels insecure and wants to be near you....this is scary for Lady.....delivery is most likely very soon...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thank you for all your help lets hope it all goes well will keep you informed
Please try not to worry, Danni...I will be in and out all day but pleaseet me know if you get worried and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Hang in there, Danni....Lady will do great!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is she meant to bleed because she is getting sick and there is blood from her private parts and she is very scared please help
It may be that Lady is getting ready to deliver, Danni...I know it has been awhile since you wrote...how is she now? Bleeding would be normal if she were starting to deliver.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has had two puppies she is still having more but is finding it difficult to have the third it's been about three hours now since the first was born is there anything I can do to help her deliver she is pushing
Good job, Danni.....the rule of thumb is that if Lady is pushing NON STOP for more than an hour, then call your vet. If she pushes and then stops and then pushes again, this may still be normal....the first litter can take awhile.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not constant pushing she is pushing then stopping but a lot of huffing but she keeps laying on them but there crying so are really healthy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not constant pushing she is pushing then stopping but a lot of huffing but she keeps laying on them but there crying so are really healthy she has just weed and licked it all
That is still normal, Danni....be patient with her.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thank you she looks very uncomfortable she is a really good mum
Uncomfortable is normal , Danni, until she has all the puppies...hang in there!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is still contracting no more pups just the two my belly is still hard is there anything I can do because I can't sleep I am laying next to her on the floor she keeps trying to lay on my blanket instead of with her pups
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As of 5 o'clock Greenwich standard time we have 3 puppies plus one that died inside her but all three are healthy and mum us doing well was really worried as I knew one was stuck but it can out and was already gone it was a little boy thank you for all your help make that four puppies not sure if there is anymore she is very sleepy now so she is trying to rest
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi she has had five pups but it's beeb nearly six hours and she has just started. Panting and getting contractions and moving around loads is this normal as there has been nothing for quite a while
HI Danni....sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you...I think we are on different time zones...

I hope Lady is doing ok with the puppies...it sounds like she had another during the night. Please let me know, Danni, how Lady is doing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has had five so far but one died inside that was at seven thirty this morning she has just started to have a few pushes after six hours but the last time it went on to long the pup came out dead and now I am scared for her she is losing green discharge which I knowis normal but there is a little lump in side that I can feel not sure if it is a puppy or normal I think she is still having one
It may be that she has another, Dannim but it aklso may be that she is discharging the remaining material from her uterus such as this green discharge which is normal. If there is another, she will remove this. If she is nursing and cleaning her puppies, then she will do great,...Congratulations, Danni...I know it was a long night but Lady did great....so did you!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi just thought I should let you know she did have another one but it got stuck it's feet where out but it sufforcated so that makes two now
Oh, Danni...I am so sorry! This can happen and it is no ones fault. You did the best you could and , Danni, you did great...Congratulations on the very healthy happy puppies and healthy Lady!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi lady is doing really well she is a good mum we ended up with just three now we lost the the last one on Friday she was very cold and not feeding so I tryed myself and she when three times and I saved her then the fourth time I couldn't bring her back thank you for all your help
I am so sorry Danni that Lady lost the last puppy but I am thrilled that she is doing well and is a good mum....keep up with the love and caring for your Lady, Danni...you have done great!!