Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my labridor has very sore front legs just above the ankle area

my labridor has very sore front legs just above the ankle area they feel hot and he is licking them a lot
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he limping?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Are you seeing any swelling?
4- Can you list the ingredients in the pills Yumove?
5- How much does he weigh?
6- Can you take his rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1) yes but in a stiff sort of way

2) 6 months ish

3) No feels a bit warm

4) Di Calcium Phosphate, Glucosamine HCI 28%, Green Lipped Mussel Powder 17%,Liver Powder, Magnesium Stearate, Manganese Ascorbate <o.1%, Hyaluronic Acid <o.1%

5) overweight last time he was weighed but had his food cut right back he is a pub dog that doesn't help

6) No... but his nose is fine and temp ok last time he was checked

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Is he on any other medications besides the Yumove?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, it made no difference

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Simon, it sounds like D4 has arthritis. Some patients with arthritis will do well with supplements like Yumove alone. But, more often then not we need to combine these supplements with non-steroidal anti inflammatory medication to see significant improvement. I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about starting him on a prescription medication called Rimadyl (carprofen). If you do not have access to a veterinarian at this moment you can also start him on Buffered Aspirin 10mg per kilogram body weight every 12 hours. You can find Buffered Aspirin over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Try not to keep him on aspirin for more than 1 week. The better option is not started aspirin and having your vet prescribed rimadyl, it is better and safer than aspirin long term. I am certain you will see a significant improvement when he is started on this medication.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter