Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

I have a 4 year old staffy who was spayed about 3 years

I have a 4 year old staffy bitch who was spayed about 3 years ago. I have noticed that just lately her temperement has changed, she has become more stubborn and very off with other dogs and will growl and lunge towards them when out on walks, I always keep her on lead. I also have a 1 year old staffy cross lab male. Up until the last few weeks they get on fine but lately my 4 year old lily will nibble at the legs or collar of my young dog whenever it's near me and she just seems so grumpy all the time. Is it possible that she still gets hormonal if she has been spayed and could this explain why lily has changed?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Thanks for your question about Lily. If Lily had a full OVH (and most dogs receive this with the ovaries and major part of the uterus removed), then she would not be producing any of the female hormones such as estrogen and progesterone. . .unless there is an ovarian remanent or even extraneous ovarian tissue along the ovarXXXXX XXXXXgament. Has Lily had and vaginal discharge or swelling? She would most likely respond in these ways if she has circulating female hormones still.

Dr. Barbara :

Otherwise, I'd be concerned that Lily is sick and not feeling well with some other disease or problem. Does Lily have any other symptoms other than grumpiness?

Customer: Thank you for your reply, the only other problem that she has is seasonal hair loss tho at the moment she is not just losing the fur on both flanks but she is losing her fur on her back legs could there be a link with this and her grumpiness ?
Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for your reply. Is Lily also itchy. . .scratching and licking excessively? Does she seem to have normal energy? Is she drinking a normal amount of water and producing a normal amount of urine?

Customer: Hello, no lily is not scratching or licking, and she seems to be drinking and urinating as normal. She seems fine in every other way other than being grumpy and hair loss and she follows me everywhere I go from room to room and she wants me to fuss her all the time. Thank you for reply.
Dr. Barbara : Hi!
Dr. Barbara : Really her actions that you are describing (grumpiness and clinging to you ) sound like something is physically wrong. Also the fact that she has fur loss (alopecia) without itching sounds less like allergies ( a lot less ), and more like a hormonal imbalance.
Dr. Barbara : I think the best would be for Lily to have a full blood profile and a urinalysis to evaluate her boos counts, her organ function, and hormone balance.
Dr. Barbara : does this make sense? Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara : Sorry ... To evaluate her blood count ( not her boos count ) :)
Customer: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX just reading online that it could be a thyroid problem, I will take her to our vets and get some blood tests done. Thank you for your reply.
Dr. Barbara :

I think that is the best plan for her. I also recommend a urinalysis because this is the only way that lower urinary tract disease can be found, and bladder infections are fairly common.

Dr. Barbara :

One other thing you can look at is her vulva. Any swelling or scant bloody discharge? As I mentioned above, if there are any ovarian remnants or aberrant ovarian tissue in her, then she could be having female hormone swings. . .this is unlikely, but just something to keep in mind.

Dr. Barbara :

Good luck! I'll put you in for a follow up in about 2 weeks, as I'd like to hear how things are going for you and how she is doing.

Dr. Barbara :

Take care,

Dr. Barbara :

Dr. Barbara

Hi Lisa,
Just checking in to hear how things are going for you and Lily by now. Did she have a blood profile to include a thyroid check? Did she also have a urinalysis? Anything amiss?
Would love to hear from you,
Dr. Barbara