Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my staffie is bleeding from her rear end it is a cloudy

my staffie bitch is bleeding from her rear end it is a cloudy blood colour and she has blister like spots there and round her mouth.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Where exactly is she bleeding from, the blister?
2- How long has she had the
blister?

There may be a slight
delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she is bleeding from her privet area and its been for about 8 wks and getting worse.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Her vagina or rectum?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

vagina.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is she spayed?
2- Is the bloody discharge just pouring out or is it when she urinates?
3- Can you explain the blisters, how long has she had them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. no 2.it pouring out but not all the time sometimes its like a cloudy blood sometimes its more red. 3. there r alot around her vagina. and quite a few round her mouth. they r quite red and look sore i notice them aboue two day ago around her mouth. but she had them for sometime round her vagina.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Julie-Ane, the blisters that you are describing is a completely different problem to the bloody vaginal discharge that you are seeing. As far as the discharge it is a concern because it is consistent with a "pyometra" which is an infection of the uterus. The fact that it has been ongoing for 8 weeks suggest that the cervix is open and draining the discharge out of her uterus, which has helped her. There could be other causes like vaginitis, urinary tract infections, cervical tumors, etc. But, at this point it is important to rule out a pyometra. A quick xray can determine if she has a pyometra or not. I would highly recommend you consider having her checked by ER vet and not wait. Holding on treatment can have fatal consequences, not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit, if it is a pyometra she will require surgery to remove the infected uterus. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

As far as the blisters, to determine the exact nature of the blisters I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results. For now however, the first thing is making sure she does not have a pyometra, highly recommend having her checked as soon as you can buy a veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter