Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

We have a 14 year old Geyhound, he has coughed up blood about

We have a 14 year old Geyhound, he has coughed up blood about 4 times now, the last time was about 3 weeks ago. He is still eating OK a little unsteady on his legs but my main concern is that he lying on his bed panting and barking for prolonged periods. I do not know if he is in pain or not. Is it time to take him to the vets. I have always known with other dogs but I just don't know at the moment
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Sorry to hear about Charlie. Over the years I have often been asked when is the right time to put a dog to sleep, there is no one easy answer for every case. { cont }

Scott Nimmo :

But whatever condition he is suffering from at the end of the day you know him best and you will know if he is suffering unduly. { cont }

Scott Nimmo :

My experience is that if a client is asking this question then there are still good and bad points to weigh up. All you can really do is to weigh up these good and bad points, basically assess the quality of Charlie's life on a day by day basis, you know and obviously care for him so only you could make this decision.

Scott Nimmo :

Sooner or later a caring owner like yourself will just wake up one day, take a look at your dog and say enough is enough ... { cont }

Scott Nimmo :

On that day follow your instincts, give your vet a call and make the arrangement to quietly put your dog to sleep, almost certainly you will be doing the right thing ...

Scott Nimmo :

All this is not easy for you I know ... sorry to be so blunt ...

Customer:

Thanks for your help, it is very difficult at the moment because none of us really know if he is suffering, he has come back from the dead so many times, we are really hoping that he goes in his sleep but he is a stubborn so and so. if he continues to lie there barking as he is over the next day or two I think we will have to take him. My step daughter has had him since he was 2 but she does not know if it is time as he is still eating so well

Scott Nimmo :

You know it is so hard to know via the internet but I think you are right, if it goes on for more than a day or so longer then you should have your vet take a look, he or she will give you an unbiased opinion and you can take it from there, as you say it could be time ...

Customer:

Thank you again

Scott Nimmo :

No problem, very glad to have advised you ... good luck ...