Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have a 15 month old Beagle. When we first looked at her last

I have a 15 month old Beagle. When we first looked at her last July (7.5 months old) she was obviously in season and discharging small drops of blood. About 1week before Xmas she started showing signs of being in season again (swollen vulva, licking this area all the time, flirting with male dogs, peeing a lot more frequently on walks etc) but we saw no blood. We assumed this was a season as I had read that there is no always blood plus it was about 6 months from her first season. I have since arranged to get her spayed at beginning of April as they said it had to be so many weeks post season. Today she has started bleeding and showing the same signs as in December. Do you think this is a third season or in December it wasn't really a season and should I change the date of spaying?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Julie, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

More than likely, Jessie is coming into heat again. Of course, without vaginal smears and progesterone testing, we can't know for sure but I suspect that this is not something you're particularly interested in pursuing (and I don't blame you).

Her behavior as well as physiological changes back in December would be consistent with a heat cycle although she may not have ovulated. The presence or absence of a discharge is not a particularly reliable indicator of estrus for some dogs as you mentioned.

Since she's showing signs of coming back into heat now, she could be experiencing what's known as a "split heat". Basically this means that even though all the signs of estrus were present in December, she wouldn't have been able to get pregnant (because she didn't ovulate). Now, several months later, she's coming back into heat and more than likely will be ovulating and could become pregnant (if you were interested in breeding her).

A split heat is absolutely normal for young females and shouldn't worry you at all. She should be out of heat by April, of course, and you can keep that appointment to spay her. Most vets don't like to spay a female while in estrus and would prefer to wait until they are out.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much. I had not heard of a split heat before and was a bit worried. This has put my mind at rest. Once she has been spayed will she still experience any of these symptoms?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Julie:
You're more than welcome. Glad I could help and provide peace of mind:)

Once she is spayed, she should not show any signs associated with a heat cycle. Her ovaries and uterus will be removed and thus the hormones that trigger an estrus will be gone.

Deb

Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Julie:
Thanks so much for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.