Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My springer has sore feet and a bald patch near his eye. He

Customer Question

My springer has sore feet and a bald patch near his eye. He had a skin scrape and it showed negative for mites etc. What can it be???
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response, it appears no experts were available when you posted your question. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is fletcher?
2- How long have you been using Fuciderm ointment?
3- Is he on oral medications? If so, what are the names?
4- Is he licking his paws?
5- How long has this been going on?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fletcher is 9 months old and the fuciderm has been for five days twice per day.

He started anti biotics yesterday twice per day but I can't give you the name as I am not at home.

He is licking his paws.

Bald patch started several weeks ago and has become more. The licking of the feet started last Thursday and I took him back to the Vet on Saturday.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Linda, common causes for the skin lesions that you are describing in a young dog like Fletcher are usually infections secondary to mites, fungal or bacterias. If your vet did a skin scrapping and rule out mites then it is either fungal or bacterias. I would recommend you continue on the oral antibiotics and fuciderm. In addition, this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking his paws or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at paws.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap. You can also wash the hairless area next to the eye, just make sure chlorhexiderm does Not get into the eye.

3- After washing affected area as above apply the fuciderm. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above discusss with your vet about using topical antifungals (miconazole or clotrimazole).

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter