Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 9 month old Labrador, I live in Athens, Greece

Customer Question

I have a 9 month old Labrador,

I live in Athens, Greece and would like to know your opinion on giving him the vaccination for Kalazar. I know the first time he has to have a vaccination 3 times monthly and then yearly, but is it safe?

He has had a blood test a month ago which came out negative.

I would be grateful for your advice.

Jo Kyritsis - Bullits mother!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Yes, Jo, Bullit should receive that vaccine where you live. It has been found to be safe, immunogenic,and protective. Here is the complete information on CaniLeish: http://www.vetclick.com/news/canileishreg-first-eu-developed-vaccine-for-canine-leishmaniosis-launched-in-the-uk-p2165.php

Please note this important paragraph: "The vaccine’s ability to protect dogs was demonstrated in an experimental challenge study, where the benefit of vaccination was still evident after one year.5 In an extreme condition natural challenge trial lasting two years under environmental conditions rarely encountered in reality, 93% of dogs vaccinated with CaniLeish® did not develop symptomatic leishmaniosis. CaniLeish® provides a fourfold reduction in the risk of developing this fatal disease."

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When is the best time to begin the vaccination. Should I wait until he is 1 years old in May?
There's no reason to wait until he's 1 year old. He can contract this protozoal infection from sand fly bites now and should be protected as soon as possible.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's my pleasure. My best to Bullit!

Please disregard the info request.