Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Why does our 7 month old XXXXX XXXXX puppy eat the poo from

Customer Question

Why does our 7 month old XXXXX XXXXX puppy eat the poo from our older dog? As quickly as she poos? No chance to clean up, if they are out in the tard together.
It is revolting.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for asking about Myrtle. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

We are not sure why puppies do this, but as disgusting as it is to us, it is actually normal and common. Most puppies outgrow this phase with time. There are all kinds of theories why they do it, but no one knows for sure. They may be getting a source of beneficial bacteria that are needed in the intestines, from their "pack members" to fight off disease and insure a healthy intestinal tract.

If you feed your older dog one of the products made for this problem, like "Forbid" ( among others), it may change the taste of the stool, and make Myrtle stop eating her feces.

Let me know if there is anything else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating! Good luck with Myrtle.

Rebecca