Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

my dog has just past small amount of blood and mucus in her

my dog has just past small amount of blood and mucus in her stool what can be the cause of this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Milly has these symptoms

Dr. Altman :

What you describe is an indication of colitis or inflammation of the colon

Dr. Altman :

There are many causes of colitis including bacterial, parasitic, endocrine to name a few

Dr. Altman :

CLICK HERE for more information on this condition in dogs

Dr. Altman :

Often a fecal evaluation is needed to determine the cause and the potential need for medication to quiet the intestinal tract down

Dr. Altman :

So bringing in a fresh fecal sample (refrigerated if not fresh) to your veterinarian should help hone in on the cause

Dr. Altman :

In the meanwhile adding some fiber to her diet, which can include white rice, canned pumpkin, psyllium to name a few will help reduce her symptoms

Dr. Altman :

But if the blood continues, increases or she has signs of vomiting or nausea (increased licking lips, eating grass, increased salivation) having your vet evaluate her becomes more urgent

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today

Customer:

yea this makes sence so its best to take a sample in to get checked at the vets

Dr. Altman :

Yes that is ideal to ensure there is no medical cause that requires more imminent therapy

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist in clarifying anything else for you today?

Customer:

no thats all thankyou

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome, good luck to you and Milly in resolving the blood in the stool :)

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!